Side Chairs

Chippendale type side chair
Attributed to the Anthony Hay Shop
Williamsburg, Virginia
ca. 1760-1780
Gift of Mrs. Kelly Evans, ca. 1930
Drawing of Chippendale chairThe general outline for this chair resembles designs taken from plate XVI in Thomas Chippendale's Gentleman and Cabinet-Maker's Director (London). Construction details of the chair are similar to other chairs made in urban Virginia, including the chip carving (small, gouged lines) around the three pierced openings at the bottom of the chair back, and a rear seat rail that is one-piece (rather than two) with a straight profile.

The chairs shown in the photo below have a tradition of ownership in the family of Mildred Gregory Thornton, a first cousin of Betty Washington Lewis of Kenmore. Made of walnut, these two chairs appear to have been part of a once larger set. Recent scholarship suggests that Scottish immigrant Robert Walker of King George County, Virginia, made these chairs ca. 1760-1775.

Black walnut side chairs


Black walnut and beech
Eastern Virginia, probably Fredericksburg,
ca. 1755-1765
Gift of the National Society,
United States Daughters of 1812,
given in 1928