Betty Washington Lewis' Earrings

Betty Washington Lewis' Earrings
Earrings
Topaz, silver, gold
ca. 1770
England
This pair of Georgian pendaloque earrings once belonged to Betty Washington Lewis and were passed down the female line of her family as treasured pieces. The semiprecious topaz stones are foil-backed to enhance their brilliance. Virginia gentry imported such luxury items during the colonial period from the mother country through their business agents or family.

Mrs. Toy D. Savage, Jr. donated the earrings to the Foundation in 2003.They are currently on display in the Bissell Gallery at Kenmore.