JFebruary, 2012 ~ Ferry Farm in 1917
The caption on this photograph reads "View of River & Geo Washington Farm July 1-1917." Of course, the farm was not owned by George Washington at that time, but it had long been referred to in that way. It looked very different in 1917 than it does now. It was a large, working farm with many buildings. Only one building from this period still remains on the site - the so-called "Surveyor's Shed." The small shed was thought to be George Washington's first surveying office and was preserved. Subsequent study has revealed that the shed was actually built in the late 19th century.
Learn more about the history of the Ferry Farm property